An increase in the use of Artificial Intelligence in various spheres of modern society has been making headlines for the past couple of years. Indeed, AI has become quite a buzzword on the Internet. Both large international companies, small local businesses, and even separate users are trying to incorporate this advanced technology into their everyday life.
In theory, Artificial Intelligence has the potential to increase the development rate of humanity drastically. However, it can also have certain detrimental consequences for some. For instance, a lot of web designers consider Artificial Intelligence in web design to be a disruptive innovation. For this very reason, Artificial Intelligence remains a subject of controversy and raises a lot of arguments both online and offline.
One of the key problems associated with incorporating AI into web design is the seemingly incompatible concepts of automation and creativity. However, there are several ways in which Artificial Intelligence is affecting web design, starting from a fairly obvious effect on the way UI is developed, and ending with more complex concepts such as the use of Artificial Intelligence for analytics.
What Is Artificial Design Intelligence?
The two options people currently have when it comes to website design now is either turning to the help of pre-made website templates or delegating the task of building the website to a professional team that would code it from scratch.
Both variants have their advantages and downsides:
- Custom-made sites are often more sophisticated and unique as they take into account all the preferences of the site owner in regards to what it should look like.
- Sites designed by professional web designers are created to allow endless functionality and a better fit for purpose.
- Off-the-peg sites are much cheaper as you already have the template and therefore the amount of work you need to do is minimal and only constitutes slight adjustments.
Artificial Design Intelligence, on the other hand, provides a completely different route to take: with this technology you can get a website that is neither built by a professional or you. Theoretically speaking, Artificial Design Intelligence is a machine-learning technology that intends to automate the process of website creation.
Although, the first attempts at creating a technology that would completely replace web designers were somewhat anticlimactic. In 2014 The Grid launched a crowdfunding campaign to facilitate the creation of a technology that would enable people to get sites that design themselves. Unfortunately, The Grid did not quite live up to the expectations by not only taking ages to deliver the product but also by allowing some incompatible mistakes in the algorithm.
Nevertheless, subsequent entries into the Artificial Intelligence Web Design marketplace such as that of WIX ADI have been much more successful. Nir Zohar, Wix president, and COO said that ‘WIX team drew on their vast knowledge base of how people build websites, which informed the development of ADI’. To ensure machine-learning of the system, WIX gathered experience of over 86 million users that created an algorithm capable of creating a ‘unique’, ‘stunning’ and ‘complete’ website.
About WIX ADI
The process of site creation using WIX ADI can be divided into a couple of steps:
- User is asked 5 initial questions to outline the nature of the future site and learn the user’s preferences:
- What will the website be used for?
- Do you need any special features or capabilities? (an online store, appointment booking capability or a blog)
- What is the name of your business?
- Where is the business located?
- What design style do you want?
After the user has answered the questions, WIX processes the data to find the most suitable combination and produces ‘structures’. These consist of website components such as titles, pages, texts, and images to create a unique look as if designed by a professional developer in a matter of seconds.
After the initial draft of the site is created, users can alter it by adding more pages or blocks to the existing structures as well as adjusting the color scheme.
Features of WIX ADI
- Uniqueness of every WIX ADI-designed website. Since ADI employs artificial intelligence, it learns in the process of creating and therefore customizes the finished product according to what it learned about the business category as well as user’s specific preferences.
- ADI draws content from around the Internet. Artificial Intelligence gathers all the required information from across the web in a matter of minutes, a process that can often hinder the creation of a website when dealt with by a human.
- Customization. The final site is adjustable and users can further alternate not only the contents but also the layout of it.
Apart from that, recent research has shown that one of the features customers value in websites is live chats. Over 60% of customers claim that they would more likely return to the websites with the live chat option. Therefore, implementing chatbox into their websites has become a top priority for many web developers to create desirable influential websites.
Artificial Intelligence, on the other hand, helps a lot to simplify the process. AI-powered chatbots ensure better user experiences and customer engagement by simulating a real conversation.
Artificial Intelligence for Gathering Information
One of the most important reasons why people create sites is to maximize their engagement with the audience. This is yet another area where Artificial Intelligence can come in handy. AI allows you to gather information in regards to which designs work best and how to improve them.
A large number of Artificial Intelligence-powered analytics tools played a big role in helping web developers collect data in regards to how their designs are working in real-time. Obtaining such insights is extremely valuable as web designers and web developers can analyze the ways website users interact with different components of the site. With this information, they can rearrange sites accordingly to increase the impact on consumers drastically.
Experts predict that based on the current performance of Artificial Intelligence in web design, it will only become more popular in the nearest future:
- One of the most recurring ideas in regards to the future of Artificial Intelligence in web design is the popularization of voice interfaces as NLP becomes more and more wide-spread.
- Using Artificial Intelligence will have a great impact on the user experience as it would enable customization of websites on a user-to-user basis instead of the one fits all approach exercised now.
So, using Artificial Intelligence for website design has many advantages as outlined previously. It is much more efficient, takes less time and compiles content from various sources. However, can Artificial Intelligence really replace web designers when it comes to creating sites? It is still arguable since a lot of aspects of ADI sites still require human control and further adjustments to be made.
Instead, it can be stated that web designers and artificial intelligence will come in tandem as AI would spare web designers from completing mundane tasks and leave more time to carry out the actual fun creative bits.
Featured image credit: Unsplash.com